Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Should I have given it to him? Even though he did not ask?

I recently passed a mobility impaired man outside Debonairs in Grahamstown. I felt really sorry for him, sitting there outside in the wheelchair in such cold weather. Walking a few metres in front of me was a white middle aged man. The mobility impaired young man slid his wheelchair towards the white man to ask for money – which he did not get.

I immediately started to draw a few coins from my pocket – getting ready to give him the coins as I anticipated he would also ask me for it. But he didn’t ask for it – and I did not give the coins to him.

I did not give this to him because I did not understand what he was trying to say, by asking for money from a white man and then turning his head against me (black) when I was so willing to give the money to him.

Did he do this because black students at Rhodes generally do not give money? Did he do this because he thought I did not have the money?

And most importantly did I not give the money to him, because I wanted to be asked? Or did I not give because I was insulted that he would ask a white man and not ask me?

These are some of the questions I will take to sleep with me blogger peeps – why do I give? Do I do it for self-gratification?... I ponder... always

One thing is for certain: he did not get my money... is that right? Is it wrong... You tell me!


No comments:

Post a Comment