Friday, August 6, 2010

I AM... YOU: A POEM

I AM… YOU



I am… the one you confidently wrote down as insignificant

I am… the one you called derogatory terms without reading my core

I am… the one you judged for wearing torn down clothes oblivious to the poverty I endure

I am… the one you smiled at – but couldn’t wait to babble about

I am the one… I am the one… indeed I am



I am still the one you said would never make it beyond my father’s gold digging efforts in the Johannesburg mines

I am still the one you ridiculed for praising ‘non-existent Gods’

I am still the one you refused to sit next for I smelled ‘poor’

I am still the one, I am still the one, I am still the one…



I am… the Gold you failed to discover

I am… the stain you will never wash off

I am… the vision you will never see

I am… the song you will never sing

I am… the lyrics you will never utter

Because I am still the one, I am still the one, I am still the one…



I am… You.



© Gcobani Qambela (July 2010)



*Thank you Luvo... you are precious*


No comments:

Post a Comment